Weekly comic books are a big part of my life and below is a list of what I’ll be picking up this Wednesday along with cover artwork and previews courtesy of Comixology’s Pull List app.
Eight or nine new books each week seems to be my average lately. With a lot of titles double shipping, it’s becoming tougher and tougher to keep up.
- ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 – This book has been the subject of much mainstream discussion as the same sex marriage of Northstar is featured here. Wedding issues have never done much to impress me and I’m just hoping for a good story here from Marjorie Liu.
- AVENGERS ACADEMY #32 – Another AvX tie-in for this series. I appreciate some attention for the X-Men youth, but seeing this every two weeks is overload.
- AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #6 – Act one of AvX came to a close with an unexpected twist as the Phoenix took the “Phoenix Five” of Cyclops, Emma Frost, Colossus, Magik, and Namor as hosts rather than Hope Summers. It really took me by surprise and the art change to Olivier Coipel looks amazing. Check out the preview, it’s gorgeous.
- NEW AVENGERS #27 – This particular tie-in to AvX has really impressed me. Mike Deodato’s artwork is some of his best and the connection Brian Bendis has created between the monks of K’un Lun and the Phoenix Force has really drawn me in. An appearance by Leonardo Da Vinci from Jonathan Hickman’s S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn’t hurt either.
- NEW MUTANTS #44 – I’m trying to catch up on the Exiled crossover that ran weekly through this book and Journey Into Mystery. It seems like the series is moving in its own direction with an appearance by the Defenders and completely avoiding AvX.
- SAGA #4 – Brian K. Vaughan’s science fantasy series is off to a decent start as he continues to build his new world. This issue focuses on a bounty hunter called “The Will” who looks like he may become a major part of the series.
- SECRET AVENGERS #28 – I’m really enjoying what’s going on here with the return of Captain Marvel and his effect on Ms. Marvel, Noh Varr, and the Kree homeworld. I just don’t like how it’s seemingly a split story with Bendis’ Avengers series.
- UNCANNY X-MEN #14 – I like the way Kieron Gillen is working his ongoing plots in Uncanny X-Men into the framework of AvX. The solicit for #13 was meant for this issue, and the promise of Mr. Sinister’s plans for the Phoenix is really intriguing to me.
- X-FACTOR #238 – Peter David’s X-Factor is also double shipping right now, but it’s a case where I hardly mind. The Piet Mondrian inspired cover really caught my eye and I’m hoping everyone is wearing fingerless gloves.
Check back every week to see what’s on My Latest Pull List and please share your thoughts on these titles and everything you’re reading this week in the comments.