All week Marvel has been releasing teaser images focusing on the concept of fear that feature some of their flagship characters. No one seems to know what these are actually teasing, but it seems the publisher may be gearing up for another crossover event.
Earlier in the month, Marvel announced a list of creators that they’ve referred to as “The Architects” (see below). All of the names were listed with the titles they’re currently working on along with a “secret project.” We should be getting another teaser image tomorrow, maybe we’ll learn what they’re all about as well.
As far as what this event may entail, there has been some “fear” related content in recent Marvel books. While I’m not reading any of it, I know that the current Chaos War story that’s running though a number of titles featured the destruction of a character called Nightmare by the Japanese death god Amatsu-Mikaboshi. Nightmare is the Marvel Universe’s embodiment of fear, so there could be a story connection here.
Another possible connection came in Avengers #5, where Tony Stark sees a timeline that lists both “man without fear” and “fear without man.” Daredevil is known as the Man Without Fear, and he’s recently been taken out of commission and his own title after taking over the ninja clan the Hand and essentially becoming the new Kingpin of Crime in New York. He’s been replaced by the Black Panther but these “fear” teasers could have something to do with his return.
Update (Friday): The final “fear” teaser was released today (featuring Thor being attacked by his father Odin, whom the thunder god was tricked into killing in Thor #600), but no more information surfaced regarding what these teasers are actually teasing. However, there is a countdown timer on Marvel.com with the “Do you fear…” text that’s set to end on Tuesday, December 21st at noon…
Update (Tuesday): Marvel announced at their 12/21 press conference that this set of teasers is for an event titled, Fear Itself, beginning in April of 2011 by Matt Fraction and Stuart Immonen. You can read more details about the project in our Fear Itself coverage. I also came a across a sixth teaser image featuring Iron Man that surfaced sometime earlier this week.
Marvel’s FEAR teasers:
- Spider-Man: Do you fear tomorrow?
- Cyclops: Do you fear what you’ve become?
- Captain America: Do you fear a loss of faith?
- Hulk: Do you fear losing control?
- Thor: Do you fear family secrets?
- Iron Man: Do you fear the legacy you’ll leave behind?
- Brian Michael Bendis, writer of AVENGERS, NEW AVENGERS, Death of Spider-Man, the upcoming MOON KNIGHT and an upcoming top secret project
- Matt Fraction, writer of THOR, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, and a top secret upcoming event
- Ed Brubaker, writer of CAPTAIN AMERICA, SECRET AVENGERS and top secret upcoming new series
- Jonathan Hickman, writer of FANTASTIC FOUR, S.H.I.E.L.D. and a top secret upcoming new series
- Jason Aaron, writer of WOLVERINE, ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN & WOLVERINE and a top secret upcoming new series
Read more about Marvel’s Fear Itself on MyLatestDistraction,
and follow each issue of the series here.