Weekly comic books are a big part of my life and below is a list of what I’ll be picking up this Wednesday along with cover artwork and previews courtesy of Comixology’s Pull List app.
Seven new books to close out August. Six of them (sorry Captain Marvel) also happen to be among the ten most “pulled” books of the week according to Comixology’s metrics along with Jonathan Hickman‘s FF #21, Avenging Spider-Man #11 (which I’d picked up the past two months for the Captain (formerly Ms.) Marvel team-up), Ultimate Comics X-Men #15, and Before Watchmen: Minutemen (I’ve completely missed these books with the exception of Minutemen #1).
- AQUAMAN #12 – Fifth Wednesday’s haven’t seen much shipping from DC since the New 52 started but this week is an exception. I’m behind on Aquaman and I’m seriously considering dropping the title, but seeing Black Manta on the cover might be enough to get me caught up and keep me around.
- AVX: VS. #5 – This series has had its hits and misses but I’ll see it through to the end. It’s not enough to satisfy with a four week gap between AvX #10 and #11 after five months of biweekly shipping.
- CAPTAIN MARVEL #3 – So far so good for this new series. Looking at the preview for #3, I’m think I need to re-read #2. Also, I love the cover.
- JUSTICE LEAGUE #12 – I caught up on the last few issues over the weekend as decision time is approaching for this book as well. A lot depends on Jim Lee’s future with the title (which I’m sure has been discussed and I’ve just missed it) as the second arc and the jump to the present hasn’t thrilled me. The references to the characters’ solo titles has been a nice touch.
- NEW MUTANTS #48 – Another book I really need to get caught up on. I’ve liked what Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have done with the title and as it nears its conclusion I’m sure they have more good things planned. At some point it just became a lower priority on my reading list and it’s piling up.
- UNCANNY X-FORCE #30 – There are so many good things going on in this book it’s hard to decide where to start lauding it each month. The thing I’m appreciating most right now is the multi-tiered nature of the Final Execution arc. It’s taken the team through time and back while bringing in plot points from the first issue if the series. Great stuff!
- WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #15 – This title continues to run a bit silly for my tastes, but there are enough good things happening that I’ll see it through to the end. What really has me sold here is the cover. Invoking the “original five” always strikes a chord with me even if Jean Grey has been replaced with Rachel Grey and Cyclops’ stand in is Wolverine. I almost can’t believe I typed that.
Check back every week to see what’s on My Latest Pull List and please share your thoughts on these titles and everything you’re reading this week in the comments.