Weekly comic books are a big part of my life and below is a list of what I’ll be picking up this Wednesday along with cover artwork and previews courtesy of Comixology’s Pull List app.
A second straight week with eight new books on my list. Three of them have the word “Uncanny” in the title and that feels a bit strange…
- AQUAMAN #17 – I started out way up on this series, but after falling behind it may be time to call it quits now that the Throne of Atlantis crossover with Justice League has wrapped up. I’ll take a look at this in the store, but I don’t know that it will be joining me on the trip home.
- ASTONISHING X-MEN #59 – Another title I’ve fallen very far behind on, but the “X” on the cover means I have no choice.
- DOCTOR WHO: PRISONERS OF TIME #2 – I don’t regularly follow the print adventures of The Doctor, but the first issue of this series was solid. It captured the spirit and aesthetic of the First Doctor’s adventures nicely, and the only thing it lacked was an indication of the bigger storyline that will be bringing his various incarnations together.
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALXY #0.1 – I’m a big fan of the current version of the Guardians, and enjoying Danny Abnett and Andy Lanning series that spun out of Marvel’s cosmic Annihilation events.Much like last week’s Nova #1, I’m not sure how this series will handle Star Lord’s return given that he was last seen trapped in another dimension with Thanos. If writer Brian Bendis’ foray into the X-Men’s corner of the Marvel Universe is any indication, this could be the start of something special.
- UNCANNY AVENGERS #4 – After a fair number of delays, this book might be getting back on track. I still won’t believe it’s shipping until I see it on the shelf (which I actually had a chance to do last night, so it will be there for me this afternoon), but I’m very excited to read this issue.
- UNCANNY X-FORCE #2 – The first issue of Sam Humphries half of the dueling Marvel Now X-Force titles went a long way to set up the conflicts we can expect to see, but the return of Bishop (last seen years ago in Duane Swierczynski’s Cable series) is the most intriguing element for me. The solicit promises we’ll see more of him here.
- UNCANNY X-MEN #2 – Brian Bendis’ relaunch of the flagship Uncanny X-Men series is off to an interesting start. It’s not quite as captivating after one issue as his All New X-Men series, but it’s very much what I’m looking for from an X-title following Cyclops now that he’s become such a polarizing figure in the Marvel Universe. The revelation of the traitor on his team was apparent pretty early, but it took nothing away from the impact and implications. Chris Bachalo‘s artwork is also a highlight.
- X-MEN LEGACY #6 – The first arc of the new series featuring Legion comes to a close and I’m still not entirely sure I’m sold on the series. I’ll have two issues to catch up on once this is in my hands and hopefully they’ll make it clearer if I’ll have #7 on my pull list. There’s a chance I’ll stick with it just to get the Mike Del Mundo covers.
Check back every week to see what’s on My Latest Pull List and please share your thoughts on these titles and everything you’re reading this week in the comments.